Genista Wines
Genista Wines

2021 ‘Duck, Duck, Cat’ Grenache

In 2020 we crushed the first Grenache for Genista from our single acre of 1944 planted vines.

We also got to know Rose, the local Barossa Wildlife Rescue (BWR) owner. Through Rose we adopted two Muscovy ducks named Willow and Jemima, and a tabby cat named Tabitha.

Rose works tirelessly to rescue and rehabilitate local wildlife and to support her work, we’re donating $3 from the sale of every bottle of ‘Duck, Duck, Cat’ to BWR.

This 2021 vintage marks our second year of producing Grenache from these old vines.

$35.00

$30 a bottle in any straight or mixed dozen

Wine Details

Region Barossa Valley, South Australia
Vintage 2021
Variety Grenache
Volume 750ml
Alcohol Volume 14.5%
pH 3.52
TA 5.69 g/L
Residual Sugar 0.6 g/L (equates to 0.1 g/glass)
Vegan Friendly
Keto Friendly
No fining agents used (only gravity!)

Vintage Notes

Remembering back to winter of 2020, it feels like a very long time ago.

The early COVID months were a time full of uncertainty. Mickie was locked down in Victoria and couldn’t make it for pruning. We pruned what we could ourselves in the time we had, then brought in a crew to help complete the job.

We spent a significant amount of time re-working the old Grenache vines. In 2019, a drought year, we harvested a measly 1.2 tonnes. In 2020, also a drought year but with the aid of soil moisture probes and a heavy hand on the tap, we picked 3 tonnes. In 2021, following a full Eutypa Lata cut out and a return to reasonable rainfall, we picked 5 beautiful tonnes. A little bit of hard work goes a long way in restoring 77-year-old vines.

Spring was mild, with La Niña officially declared in September.

A mild summer with just a few scorchers before Australia Day 2021 was broken on the 25th of January with 21mm falling in the late afternoon. On that day we had friends over for a BBQ and a swim, and I vividly recall swimming in the downpour, and the rain hitting our little wood fire oven and turning instantly to steam.

Then, the family connection began!
After not seeing our Victorian family and friends during 2020, they were all pretty keen to leave Victoria and come and see us (and who can blame them!).

The Grenache was ready to be picked on Sunday the 21st of March. At this time we had Sarah’s Mum, Kaye, staying with us. A librarian by trade, Kaye put in a mammoth effort to stay out in the sun all day with us while we ran buckets, bins and trailers up and down behind the pickers.

The next day – Sarah’s birthday – the Grenache was 60% destemmed on top of the remaining 40% whole bunch fruit. Plunged and treaded for 14 days, it was my parents – Kristine and Mickie – visiting for Easter that helped us basket press direct to barrel. The wine was racked off gross lees after primary and secondary fermentation finished in barrel.

The wine was matured in seasoned oak for 13 months before being blended and bottled.

Region Barossa Valley, South Australia
Vintage 2021
Variety Grenache
Volume 750ml
Alcohol Volume 14.5%
pH 3.52
TA 5.69 g/L
Residual Sugar 0.6 g/L (equates to 0.1 g/glass)
Vegan Friendly
Keto Friendly
No fining agents used (only gravity!)

Remembering back to winter of 2020, it feels like a very long time ago.

The early COVID months were a time full of uncertainty. Mickie was locked down in Victoria and couldn’t make it for pruning. We pruned what we could ourselves in the time we had, then brought in a crew to help complete the job.

We spent a significant amount of time re-working the old Grenache vines. In 2019, a drought year, we harvested a measly 1.2 tonnes. In 2020, also a drought year but with the aid of soil moisture probes and a heavy hand on the tap, we picked 3 tonnes. In 2021, following a full Eutypa Lata cut out and a return to reasonable rainfall, we picked 5 beautiful tonnes. A little bit of hard work goes a long way in restoring 77-year-old vines.

Spring was mild, with La Niña officially declared in September.

A mild summer with just a few scorchers before Australia Day 2021 was broken on the 25th of January with 21mm falling in the late afternoon. On that day we had friends over for a BBQ and a swim, and I vividly recall swimming in the downpour, and the rain hitting our little wood fire oven and turning instantly to steam.

Then, the family connection began!
After not seeing our Victorian family and friends during 2020, they were all pretty keen to leave Victoria and come and see us (and who can blame them!).

The Grenache was ready to be picked on Sunday the 21st of March. At this time we had Sarah’s Mum, Kaye, staying with us. A librarian by trade, Kaye put in a mammoth effort to stay out in the sun all day with us while we ran buckets, bins and trailers up and down behind the pickers.

The next day – Sarah’s birthday – the Grenache was 60% destemmed on top of the remaining 40% whole bunch fruit. Plunged and treaded for 14 days, it was my parents – Kristine and Mickie – visiting for Easter that helped us basket press direct to barrel. The wine was racked off gross lees after primary and secondary fermentation finished in barrel.

The wine was matured in seasoned oak for 13 months before being blended and bottled.

Reviews & Awards

92 points – Ken Gargett, Wine Pilot

The wonderfully named Grenache from the Barossa is back with a new vintage, and definitely an exciting one. And remember, every bottle sold contributes to the local Barossa Wildlife Rescue operation. Drink well and save the world. This is the second release of this wine, from their single acre of their Grenache, planted back in 1944. I really hope that winelovers are jumping on board the great Aussie Grenache train, whether they come from the Barossa, McLaren Vale or wherever. So many crackers.Here we have a vibrant purple colour. Mulberries, chocolate, florals, this is fresh and exuberant. There are notes of red currants and a whiff of musk. Lovely focus here, right through to the very fine, if ever-so-slightly sandy tannins. A fresh, delicious Grenache for drinking over the next 2-3 years, though it will surely go much further if you can resist.

92 points – Ray Jordan, Wine Pilot

This is a modern medium bodied Grenache designed to capture all that is good in this variety from the Barossa Valley. Opens with a slightly damp earthy, rose petal and light lifted red fruit nuance. The palate is smoothly textured with a fine integrated tannin and oak contribution. Sweet chocolate and a balancing dried herb character provides a nice combination. Slippery and smooth.
[read full review]

91 points – Jeni Port, Wine Pilot

Easy drinking all the way with a flood of plum, dark cherries, anise and light spice saturating the tastebuds. There’s plenty of bounce here, both flavour-wise and in the lively purple-dark cherry bright colour. It’s a fine follow-up to the 2020 DDC with the same degree of attention in bringing out the fruit’s delicious spice, tasty black and red fruits, chocolate with just a hint of varietal-led confection. This is a wine intended to be enjoyed now with oak nicely in balance and understated to the fruit.
[read full review]

Silver Medal 2021 Winewise Small Vigneron Awards

Dan Traucki, Wine Assist
“A new label to memade from vines planted in 1944. Superb depth of bright purple colour, aromas of red berries, spices & a hint of brambliness, a lovely appealing mouthful of plummy flavours with dash of dried herbs & a sensational long lingering finish. UTTERLY DIVINE.”

91 points – Jeni Port, Wine Pilot
There’s a lovely story behind this cracker of a wine. In 2020, Genista not only crushed its first grenache, but adopted two Muscovy ducks and a tabby cat from the Barossa Wildlife Rescue (BWR), hence the wine’s name. And the story gets better because Genista’s owners – Lloyd and Sarah – will donate $3 from the sale of every bottle of Duck, Duck, Cat to the BWR. Reason enough to buy a bottle or two. And, I might add, it’s one smart wine, showcasing what we might call the new, improved Australian winemaking approach to grenache that propels fruit and spice forward rather than oak and alcohol.
[read full review]

91 points – Ken Gargett, Wine Pilot
An appealing crimson colour. The nose offers an array of aromas; warm earth, strawberries, roast meats and old leather. The palate is of mid-weight and there is a supple texture, through to very fine tannins, though they are a touch gritty, as one often encounters with this grape. Bright acidity too so drink over the next three to four years, and probably much longer. Very attractive.
[read full review]